FIGHTING LBJ STYLE


I was 14 years old when the supposed Gulf OF Tonkin incident occurred in August 1964 which gave Lyndon Johnson his justification for escalating the Vietnam War. Supposedly American destroyers were attacked on two separate days by North Vietnamese torpedo boats. Johnson asked for and got what came to be a virtual declaration of war on North Vietnam in Congress called the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution. The first day of the attack probably happened but the second days attack didn't. Johnson knew this but that didn't stop him from starting one of our longest wars in history. In 1964 I never imagined that I would be facing the possibility of being drafted four years later after I graduated from high school in 1968. That year would turn out to be the worst year of the Vietnam war and American troop strength was at it's height. There were half a million American troops on the ground by 1968.

Most Americans my age were like me in that we all grew up with the Communist threat hanging over our heads. We knew that Communism was a very bad thing unlike many young Americans today. We all believed in the Domino Theory. If one country was allowed to fall to Communism others would soon follow. Although Lyndon Johnson led us into that war and it was entirely avoidable American's, contrary to popular opinion always supported that war. What we didn't support was how Johnson was fighting it. America always had the ability to win it. Our politicians just lacked the will. Johnson would bomb the North and then call a bombing halt for negotiations. Even as a teenager I knew enough about military history to know that all this did was give the North Vietnamese time to rearm, recruit and prepare to carry on the fight which resulted in more American casualties and prolonging the war. 

I am seeing the same thing with Trump and Iran. Most Americans support the war. Iran is one of the most evil regimes that has ever existed and they are the greatest threat to world peace. Negotiations will never work anymore than they would have worked with Hitler. Trump is not Lyndon Johnson. Johnson was evil and a totally corrupt politician. Unfortunately like LBJ, however; Trump apparently doesn't have the will to win this war. If ever there was a case for regime change this is it. We must annihilate this regime in the same way we annihilated Hitler and the Nazi's. You can't tell me that between Israel and the U.S. we don't know the location of their leaders and of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard. We need to take every one of them out. It might even require a few ground troops to secure the Straits of Hormuz but we have the power to win and end this regime forever. 

Politicians have screwed up every war since WW2. I am tired of hearing that the American people don't have the will to win. Quit blaming us. It's the politicians that don't have the will to win. President Trump has the American people and the military on his side. All he needs is the killer instinct required to be a successful warrior. I am so sick of him talking about his phantom deal with Iran. When he starts talking about a deal I just tune him out or change the channel. As a veteran I was willing to give my life for my country if I had been called to fight but no one wants to squander their life in a losing cause. Lives are too valuable for that. My generation fought and died in Vietnam. We have to honor their bravery and sacrifice but we will always ask the question. What did they die for? President Trump needs to grow a pair and win this war. Let's win so those who have so honorably given their lives and the brave men and women now fighting this war will know that their sacrifices will not be in vain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

THE PLATT FAMILY

DINAH SHORE - NASHVILLE GIRL