FIRE AT THE FAIR



 As a kid I looked forward to the Tennessee State Fair the same way that most kids look forward to Christmas. The schools were closed every year on Fair day which was always on Monday, the first day of the fair. In the 1800's a horse racing track was located there and was one of three in the city. A huge wooden three story building called the Woman's Building was built around 1915 on top of the hill overlooking today's race car track. As a kid the Woman's Building reminded me of a castle or a haunted house. It was massive and surrounded by two large three story building's. One was called the Administration Building and the other was called the Merchant's Building. During the fair they housed various exhibits and eating places. A place that you could take a refuge from the hustle and bustle of the Midway. I always looked forward to the sights and smells of the Fair but I never went to there in the daytime. In my opinion it was much better at night amidst the bright glare of the neon lights. Added to this were the hawkers trying to entice you into the various freak shows and girly shows. 

On Fair Day Monday September 20, 1965 I was invited by my cousin's Jenny and Judy to go to the fair. This was a first for me because I always waited until Friday night. My Uncle Doug and Aunt Catherine took us there earlier that afternoon and they picked us up around 9:00 PM. The three of us were sitting in the back seat listening to the local rock station WMAK. We were close to the Trinity Lane exit on I-65. In those days the interstates were under construction and I-65 ended at Trinity Lane. Suddenly the announcer broke in with a news bulletin. A fire had broken out at the Fair. The three of us turned simultaneously to look out of the cars rear window. The entire horizon, as far as the eye could see, appeared to be on fire. Flames leapt high into the air. Every time I see the scene from "Gone With the Wind" of Atlanta burning I am reminded of that image.

  All three of those massive buildings along with the grandstands were destroyed. Eighteen people, including ten firemen, were injured. Miraculously nobody was killed. Thousands of people fled in panic. An estimated twelve million dollars worth of damage was done and Mayor Beverly Briley officially closed the Fair for the rest of the week. The Maxwell House fire on Christmas night 1961 had been the biggest fire I had ever seen until that night. Nothing has come close since. I had a paper route and I picked up my papers at Co. 18 Fire Hall on Gallatin Rd. Never will I forget the sight of those exhausted and dirty firemen as they climbed out of their fire engine early the next morning. One fireman told me that every Engine Co. in Nashville was on scene. He said that parts of a fire truck had literally melted from the heat. 







Fairgrounds speedway























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST