WHY I OPPOSE THE CHANGING OF THE NAMES OF ARMY POSTS


First- Naming army posts after Confederate soldiers was probably not a good idea but it was done in the spirit of reconciliation in the late 1800's and early 1900's. I kind of look at changing their names now in the same way I look at getting rid of Christmas. If I had been around when the decision was made to turn Christmas into a holiday, and I had any kind of say in the matter, I would have said something like this. Hey guys this might not be a good idea renaming December 25th, the nativity of the pagan sun god Christmas. Besides Santa Claus and office parties will be worshiped more so than Jesus. We might not want to go there. Christmas has it's strong points. It is traditional, some people love it in spite of all of it's drawbacks, and it is a good excuse for families to spend time in fellowship. We don't need to lead an effort to abolish Christmas now. I have just learned to live with it. 

Second- Much glory and honor is associated with the names of these army posts since their naming. Fort Bragg was not only home to the 82nd Airborne in WW2 but the 82nd Infantry Division, which was the Division that WW1 Medal of Honor winner Alvin York belonged to. I realize that many Black soldiers trained on these posts that were named after their oppressors but I would be interested to see a scientific poll, and not a push poll, on whether or not Black soldiers wish to see the names changed. 

Third- This is where I also have mixed feelings. I never understood why, if you are a die hard Southerner, who believed in the Southern cause, which I don't, why you would want to name an army post after some of the South's worst generals. Fort Bragg, Fort Polk, or Fort Hood. These generals were a big reason the South lost the war. I would rather name a fort after my dog than Braxton Bragg if I were a believer in the Lost Cause Myth, which I am not.

Fourth- Do you realize how much the rebranding of these posts will cost the American taxpayer? Not like that matters to the left. You will need new signage, stationery, computer changes, etc. etc. Costs that we can't even fathom right now. Like we need to add to our staggering deficit. Yeah that is the mark of brilliance.

Fifth- If you are going to change the names, rename them after military people and heroes like Eisenhower, Marshall, Alvin York, Audie Murphy. If you want to be diverse, which we should, name some after the many Black war heroes. People like William Carney who won the Medal of Honor at Fort Wagner and there are 89 Black Medal of Honor recipients. Any of those will do. There are many Hispanic War heroes and female heroes worthy of naming an army post after. The first post that they name after Al Sharpton, Oprah Winfrey or Barack Obama you will find me throwing rocks and creating mayhem. We already have a Fort Jackson so maybe we wont have one named after Jesse Jackson. If you think I am prejudiced against Obama, I don't think any post should be named after a president unless he was in the military. We will leave it to the Navy to name their carriers after presidents. 

Sixth- I don't like giving the left slippery slopes. Just like the 2nd Amendment, when we give into their demands for reasonable gun control it is just another step toward gun confiscation. If you don't believe me just research their own words on the subject. Secondly, does anyone really believe that the left will be satisfied with stopping with the Confederacy? It will escalate to taking down statues of people like Jefferson, Jackson, and Washington. Then they will change names of cities, buildings, parks, our currency and other public places. I am convinced that the reason that the Democrats want to destroy any remembrance of the past is because it reminds people of their own dark past. They don't want to remind people about their involvement in slavery, segregation, lynching, convict leasing, and so many other sins against Black people. Who knows one day they might try to destroy any reminders of the Republican Party. The party that led the way in ending their tyranny over Black people. This last reason is why I am opposed to changing the names of U.S. Army posts the most. I don't approve of handing the Communists another slippery slope. Get rid of the Communist Party in America and we might have a serious discussion about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST