I am weary of Democrats politicizing every school shooting. If they would put as much energy into actually making our schools safer rather than exploiting these tragedies maybe we could protect our children. I have put a lot of thought into this issue over the years and I have a few suggestions on how to prevent school shootings in the future. The problem is gun free zones. Gun Free Zones are soft targets and we must be harden them at all costs.
1. At the beginning of each school year screen every employee working in the school. The principal, teachers, teachers aids, maintenance workers and janitors. Find out which school employees have military experience, combat experience, law enforcement experience and weapons experience. These people should be looked at as an important resource. Obviously everyone who has been in the military is not necessarily an expert with a pistol but there are plenty of veterans who are. Do background checks on each employee. The ones that pass a background check should be given yearly refresher courses on weapons safety and rules of engagement. Allow these hand selected employees to carry concealed weapons. Of course this program would be voluntary.
2. Encourage parents and grandparents of the students to volunteer their time who also meet the above criteria and allow them to be armed on school property. They could patrol the interior and exterior of the schools during school hours.
3. I don't want to take credit for this one because I heard it on a talk show but it makes sense. Set up a gate system within the school. This would trap a shooter to a small area whenever the gates are activated.
4. The only backpacks that should be allowed in a school are the clear see through type.
5. Set up an exchange badge system. Limit the students and school employees to just a few entry and exit points. Every student and employee should have two photo ID badges that are identical except for the color. For example the student or employee would carry a blue ID card and exchange it for a red ID card. Have turnstiles for entry and exit. Visitors should be screened through a separate secure area. This could be monitored by security personnel or the teachers themselves.
6. This is another idea worth consideration that I heard on the Rush Limbaugh show. Allow students to take on line classes from home.
7. Last but not least take down those god awful Gun Free Zone signs. Replace them with signs that read (The Use Of Deadly Force Is Authorized. All Criminals Enter At Your Own Risk) or (Staff Heavily Armed And Trained Any Attempt To Harm Children Will Be Met By Deadly Force). Place them at every school entrance and at the entrance of the roads leading into school property. People like Nicklaus Cruz might be crazy but they ain't stupid.