DECISION TIME FOR SOCIAL MEDIA



“WHOEVER WOULD OVERTHROW THE LIBERTY OF A NATION MUST BEGIN BY SUBDUING THE FREENESS OF SPEECH.”

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN


  
  In the span of a week I have been blocked twice by Facebook for the sin of expressing my political opinions. If I am not blocked again for writing this article I am sure that it will happen again very soon because I will not be bullied into silence. As Conservatives we make light of being thrown into Facebook Jail, but it is not a laughing matter with me. I know that this is all part of a greater collusion on the part of the left to silence Conservative thought. It happened in 2012 when Obama weaponized the IRS to silence Conservative groups in his reelection campaign. It happened again when he weaponized the FBI and CIA to go after Trump in 2016 and beyond. In that same year he also weaponized social media to shut down Conservative thought, which in the long run might have the most devastating consequences. All Americans, regardless of political affiliation, should be interested in preserving free speech in America.

  As social media goes I only use Facebook. I resisted using Facebook for a long time because I wasn't interested in getting on there and posting selfies, showing off my pets, posting recipes, or posting pictures of what I was eating at any particular moment.  It was purely mundane to me. After I began my blog in 2012, I got to thinking that maybe I could spice things up a bit on Facebook by posting historical articles that I have written, and political commentary. Over the years I have met many new friends, reconnected with old ones, met relatives that I didn't know, and kept up with relatives that I would only see at weddings and funerals. For the most part the feedback on my articles has been good and it has made me feel like my efforts have not been in vain.

  There have been times that I ask myself, why would I lend support to someone as leftist as Mark Zuckerberg by utilizing his creation. Many friends and relatives that don't use Facebook or have never used it at all, routinely chide me because am still a Facebook member. I look at it this way. They win if I quit. That is why Donald Trump was elected, and why I think he will be reelected. He is a fighter that doesn't roll over and play dead like far too many Republicans and Conservatives do. He doesn't care what others think and who he offends. Trump doesn't apologize at the drop of a hat. This is why I wear Trump hats and shirts in public and am not afraid to put a Trump bumper sticker on my car. I will not be bullied. This is America and if it leads to a verbal confrontation or even a violent confrontation, so be it. I will not start the confrontation and I will do whatever it takes to defend myself. This is why Trump wins in 2020 and why he won in 2016. Most people in America secretly like Trump, but unlike me, too many people are afraid to wear Trump apparel, or put a bumper sticker on their car. The voting booth, however; is their cover. They can express their opinion there and no one has to know how they voted. This is America's silent majority, which I am a part of, but I refuse to be silent.

  Facebook, Twitter, Google, Youtube and other forms of social media have become leftist monopolies. Like all monopolies they should be regulated to some degree. I am no legal scholar but there is a debate over whether the social media giants are publishers or public forums. The whole issue is kind of confusing to me as to what lengths Facebook can go in order to censure people. Youtube is being sued by Prager University because it has banned many of Prager U's videos. Prager U is trying to force Youtube to decide whether they want to be a publisher or a public forum. Youtube claims to be a public forum but is acting like a publisher. This could have a far reaching positive impact on the freedom of speech issue if Prager U wins this case. I would like to see all social media have to make this decision. If they claim to be a publisher then they would have the right to censure but if they claim to be a public forum they shouldn't have that right. Social media should be forced to choose one or the other. They shouldn't be both. This is why I am asking all freedom loving people to call or write their senators, or congressmen, and ask for legislation that would would force social media to make that decision. Are they going to act as publishers or are they a public forum? There is a study right now that shows that social media had a huge impact on the congressional elections of 2018 in favor of leftist candidates and could have an even greater impact on the 2020 presidential election. Social media is a powerful foe but I refuse to believe that they cannot be beaten.


The congressional switchboard number is 202-224-3121

The White House comment line is 202-456-1414






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST