KILLING THE GOOSE

 I have always been a proud graduate of East Nashville High School. East had a huge impact on my life because of the friends I had there and it is where I met the love of my life. Many East High grads have gone on to become very successful. Some are famous and some are not so famous. The more famous grads would be names like Ralph Emery, Frank Sutton, who was Gomer Pyle's Sergeant Carter, Richard Fulton, the former congressman, and mayor of Nashville. Or General Hugh Mott who was instrumental in capturing the bridge at Remagen during WW2 and Oprah Winfrey just to name a few. 

Oprah Winfrey is the embodiment of the American Dream. Her talent and ambition took her to the top. She is one of the wealthiest and influential people in the world today who just happens to be not only a woman but a Black woman. Like many other wealthy Black people who are also the embodiment of the American Dream such as Barack Obama, Spike Lee, and Colin Kaepernick, she hates America. Not all wealthy Black people hate America. Herman Kane is a great example of a man who never lost focus on what it means to be an American. My White privilege only got me so far. I never made over 60,000 dollars a year in my life and that was the exception. My house is a 2,000 square foot ranch style house. Oprah and I both came from a dysfunctional family life but I didn't have Oprah's talent and drive. The main difference between Oprah and myself is that I love America and she doesn't.  

What amazes me is how Oprah can be smart enough to be successful but so dumb at the same time. She was instrumental in getting, Barack Obama, the worst president in American history elected. She compared the killing of Trayvon Martin to the murder of Emmett Till. If you know anything at all about the deaths of Martin and Till you will immediately know how incredibly stupid that comparison was. Now she is saying that America has a caste system. Merriam - Webster dictionary defines a caste system this way. 

  1. One of the hereditary social classes in Hinduism that restrict the occupation of their members and their association with the members of other castes

2. A division of society based on differences of wealth, inherited rank or privilege, profession, occupation, or race

3. A system of rigid social stratification characterized by hereditary status, endogamy, and social barriers sanctioned by custom, law, or religion.

My question is this. Why are so many people from all over the world busting down our doors just to live under such a rigid caste system? Are they rushing over to India where they definitely have a caste system? What about beautiful downtown Saudi Arabia or Somalia? Oprah and other wealthy Black malcontents might have become successful in a few other countries on the globe but they never would have had the opportunities that this country has provided them. This goes for wealthy malcontents of the White race too like Bill Gates, Robert DeNiro, or Barbara Streisand just to name a few. You know, the ones who are always threatening to leave.

America has been the goose that has layed golden egg for years. But for the life of me I don't understand why so many people are out to kill it. I watched an emotional speech by Gene Simmons, the lead singer of Kiss a few months ago. Gene is an immigrant from Israel and his mother was a holocaust survivor. Fighting back the tears he said that people are wrong when they call Israel the promised land. He said America is the promised land. When I talk about America I can get just as emotional because I have always known this to be true. If anyone in America should realize this it should be Oprah Winfrey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST