Sunday, February 14, 2016

Just A Swinging


  When my Aunt Didi passed away I inherited the swing that my grandfather made many years ago. We passed many a warm Spring and Summer night in that old swing on McKennie Ave. There is no telling how old this swing really is. My grandfather was a blacksmith on the Tennessee Central railroad and he made many things out of iron. The frame of the swing and stand was made out of channel iron. I can date the swing by these pictures at least to the early 1940's. The 1st picture is the swing in my backyard. Didi is in her Howard High school band uniform in the 2nd picture. The 3rd picture is Didi with her brother Alton (Bud) Brown. The 4th is my grandmother Ella Belle Frogge Brown standing behind my great grandmother Mattie Mayfield Frogge who died in 1945. This picture is probably 1944 or 45. The 5th picture is probably late 1940's or early 1950's because Didi is with her first husband LeeRoy Anderson. The father of my cousins Roy and Alton Anderson.




No comments:

Post a Comment