LIBERTY AND INDEPENDENCE FOREVER




Comments on David Crocketts final election defeat (11 August 1835) I concluded my speech by telling them that I was done with politics for the present, and they might all go to hell, and I would go to Texas.

"Pop, pop, pop! Boom, boom, boom! throughout the day. No time for memorandums now. Go ahead! Liberty and Independence forever". Last entry in Crockett's diary, (5 March 1836) The Alamo fell on March 6, 1836.

  I don't have a clue who is going to win this election and I don't think anybody else does. For a while now I have predicted a Trump victory but recent polls are all over the place and the news media, along with establishment Republicans, want you to believe that Hillary will win in a landslide. As a political science minor in college I learned that presidential polls, for the most part, have been accurate through the years. Pollsters got it wrong in 1936 and 1948. I do know, however; about push polling and I believe many, if not most of these polls, could be push polls. This is because they are all over the place. In some polls Hillary has been ahead by double digits and in others she is only ahead by two or three points. Trump is ahead in others. These push polls are designed to give the impression that Hillary is so far ahead that Trump voters will be wasting their time going to the polls.

 I see some similarities between this election and 1948. Not to compare Trump with Truman but Thomas Dewey, the Republican running against Truman, thought that it was his year. The Republicans had been out of power since 1933 and the country was becoming more conservative. Dewey was playing it safe, like Hillary is doing now. Truman boarded a train and went on a whirlwind campaign swing across the country. On election day Truman won. The polls had it wrong. There is a famous picture of Truman holding up the Chicago Daily Tribune with the bold headlines, (Dewey Defeats Truman).  This is an election unlike anything that I have ever experienced in my life. Trump supporters could be in for a long night or it could be a huge upset for Trump. We will just have to wait and see.


  I have put a lot of thought to the consequences of this election. This may be our last shot at saving our liberties. Or at the very least delaying the inevitable. It may already be too late for America to turn things around. If Hillary wins this will be the last vote that I will ever cast in an election. Unlike Crockett I do not have Texas to escape to. Giving up my United States citizenship is not an option, which I would gladly do if I just had a feasible place to go. As far as I can, however; I will withdraw from the process of citizenship. I still love my country but I cannot deal with what is happening to it. Like Crockett I will tell the people that voted for Hillary, and the apathetic, that they can all go to hell. Liberty and independence forever.       


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST