THE NASHVILLE WALGREENS AT 5th AND ARCADE


  My daddy, Willard (Bill) Segroves had an eighth grade education but he learned how to fill prescriptions by watching the pharmacists at Walgreen's. He worked at 5th and Arcade in Nashville and started working at Walgreens in 1939 at the age of 19. This is where he met his first wife Mamie. My oldest sister Carolyn was born in 1940 and my sister Faye was born in 1943. He was drafted in 1944 and upon discharge in 1947 went back to Walgreens. Daddy divorced Mamie around this time and at some point met my mother. My mother was a nurse working in a doctors office in the Bennie Dillon Building. The first picture is my father surrounded by his Walgreen's co-workers. The third picture is my father at nineteen or twenty and it is my son Robert made over. I have seen this look on his face many times.




Walgreens
Daddy standing on 5th Avenue

Comments

  1. My Mom told me in 2018. at 70 years old, how she and her Mom would go to this Walgreens at that Nashville Arcade. So I was searching and found your post. She had good memories of that time with her Mom. My Mom passed away right after telling me this. Thank you for sharing your story of your Dad. :-) I worked at the Arcade, in 2018, for a week. I loved it. It was a wonderful experience for me. Only thing, the elevator... lol.... who knew if the it would let you out, once you go on to it. lol. I took the stairs, most of the time. :-)






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed my article. A few years ago I gave the management of that Walgreens these pictures of when he worked there and they were very appreciative. Who knows, I might not be here today if my dad hadn't worked there. That is where he probably met my mother.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST