THE SHARPSHOOTER POSITION AT GETTYSBURG





In 2003, and 2005, I was able to visit Gettysburg and Antietam. In 2014 I returned to Gettysburg. My family and I love going there. As much as possible I like to take a picture from as close to the spot as the original photographer. Alexander Gardner, a Scottish immigrant, took many Civil War pictures and one of his most famous was the "Sharpshooters Nest". It was determined by William Frassanito that Gardner perpetrated a fraud. A dead Confederate soldier was dragged forty feet to the supposed sharpshooter position. At the time it wasn't considered unethical to stage or alter a photograph. Quite a few Civil War photographs have been staged. The second picture is one that I took with the help of my nephew Stephen Haffield. Many tourists saw what I was doing and did the same thing with their kids.
My Grandson Robbie in 2014 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST